From their web site:
Marine Ecology Consulting is Fiji and the South Pacific’s leading company for Coastal and Marine Ecology Assessments as part of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA), as well as offering marine conservation and management advice, educational courses and opportunities, and tourism-based marine programmes.
Our team of ecologists and marine scientists at marine ecology consulting offers a wide range of skills and experience in relation to issues relating to marine ecology and biology.
Resort Support was formed in the Fiji Islands in 1997, to offer marine biology and tourism consultancy services within the Fiji Islands. The principals, Helen Sykes and Stuart Gow, have backgrounds in Biological Sciences and Civil Engineering, over 15 years experience in marine-related tourism in the Caribbean and the Pacific Islands, and are both fully qualified diving instructors with many years of diving experience.
Fiji Islands Environment Management Act, 2004
After the passing of Fiji’s Environment Management Act 2004, the demand for EIA-related Marine Resource Assessments grew exponentially, warranting the expansion of that side of the company’s business.
Local Marine Science graduates were taken on through paid internship programmes, which allowed them to gain working experience while pursuing post graduate education and projects, and the company to expand its capabilities.
Graduate Marine Scientists
Since that time we have taken on a full-time locally qualified graduate marine scientist, while maintaining our paid intern programme. This programme continues to offer work experience to new graduates in marine and environmental sciences, while enabling us to identify individuals with the special combination of skills required to deliver the most efficient and relevant Marine Resources Assessments available.
To provide the best and most efficient consulting and assessment services in marine ecology in the South Pacific region.
1. To develop and create an exceptional team of internationally recognized locally qualified professionals in the marine ecology field
2. To develop and encourage methods of sustainable use of the marine environment in Fiji and the South Pacific region
3. To produce all EIA Marine Assessments efficiently and on-time.
4. To encourage the Tourism Industry to understand the value of staff education and guest interpretation programs which encourages sustainable use of marine resources.
5. Establish regular programs of Marine Ecology monitoring at every coastal resort/tourism operator, including all levels from backpacker village based through to 5 star corporate integrated resort developments (IRD’s).
6. Support community-based marine conservation projects.